According to Eating Well Magazine, “Chefs across the country are cooking up healthier, more sustainable burgers by swapping at least 25% of the meat for mushrooms.”
I love this idea!! So I thought I’d try one out. So here’s my version of Mixed Mushroom Turkey Burgers with grilled Haloumi cheese, pickled onions, and lettuce from my garden on a whole wheat english muffin from our local bakery – Blue Oven Bakery. While the grill was hot, I thought I might as well throw on some of our garden-fresh asparagus and some savory/rosemary coated polenta too.
A couple months ago there was a HUGE sale on baby portabella mushrooms at a food wholesaler, and around the same time I received about 25 lbs of foraged Chicken of the Woods mushrooms. That’s a lot of mushrooms. So after trying to cook and give away as many mushrooms as I could, I still had a ton left. I dehydrated what was left. I was so excited to be able to use some of these mushrooms in a burger! Umami burst of flavor here I come…
Mixed Mushroom Turkey Burgers
(adapted from Eating Well’s Grilled Bison-Mushroom Burgers)
3.5 oz of fresh Private Selection golden oak shitake mushrooms coarsely chopped
1/2 C dehydrated baby portabella mushrooms
1/2 C dehydrated chicken of the woods mushrooms
(you could just use 8 oz of fresh mushrooms if you don’t have dehydrated)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika (my husband made this from our peppers last year)
1 lb ground turkey
- Reconstitute the mushrooms briefly by soaking in water for a couple minutes. Then drain the mushrooms.
- Pulse all of the mushrooms in a food processor until they are finely chopped but not paste.
- Saute mushrooms with the olive oil for about 5 minutes until all of the liquid has evaporated off and the mushrooms are browned.
- Add salt, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, and smoked paprika and saute for another 2-4 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Add ground turkey and mix well.
- Form into 4, 4-inch wide patties.
- Grill about 4-5 mins, flip, and grill about 4-5 minutes more.
- Serve on grilled English muffins with grilled haloumi, dijon mustard, pickled onions, and lettuce. Enjoy!
*I received the Private Selection mushrooms for free through #MyMagazineSharing Network